After much anticipation, I finally watched Chef's Table Pastry on Netflix. I waited and waited and waited for the April release date to finally arrive, and then when it finally did my husband went on a bunch of trips and told me I had to wait for him to watch! So here we are. We finally watched! (Don't worry, no spoilers here!) The first episode features Christina Tosi of Momofuku Milk Bar. As I learned more and more about her history and her work and her preferences, I felt like she and I were the same person! Except for, you know, the creativity and talent and success part... I really admire her so much and she is such a strong inspiration to me.
If you've ever been to Milk Bar, you are likely familiar with her cereal milk flavor using corn flakes. This inspired me to make cereal milk of my own, featuring Fruity Pebbles, my favorite cereal (which I will be featuring in some future recipes soon). I then recalled having seen coffee milk somewhere so I decided to make that too! I had the idea of making the milks in french presses so I could just press down after they've soaked, rather than pouring the milks through a strainer.
I let the coffee milk soak overnight, which ended up being over 24 hours, but I think 12-24 hours would work just fine. I used the coffee milk in a basic buttercream frosting to put in between my Perfectly Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Every time I make my chocolate chip cookie recipe I'm reminded that I may not do a lot of things well, but I make some really freakin' good chocolate chip cookies. I'm pretty sure I've not found a cookie I like better than this recipe. As you know, this cookie is excellent on its own, but when you make it a sandwich with the coffee milk icing...I just have no words for how delicious this combo is.
Have you watched Chef Table Pastry yet? Have you been to Milk Bar? What are your must-haves from Milk Bar? What are your favorite cereal milk or coffee milk treats?
Coffee Milk Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 batch Perfectly Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies link to recipe in blog post above
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons coffee milk
- 7 tablespoons roughly ground coffee
- 2 cups milk
- Combine coffee and milk in a french press the night before you plan to make this dessert, and place unpressed french press in fridge overnight (12-24 hours).
- After soaking, press french press to pour out coffee milk.
- Prepare a batch of Perfectly Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and let cool (link to recipe in blog post above, or search "Chocolate Chip Cookies" on www.flourdeliz.com. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- Beat butter in a small bowl till soft and whipped.
- Add powdered sugar and prepared coffee milk, and beat until frosting is of desired consistency. Add more coffee milk if too thick, or more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto the bottom of one cookie, and press the bottom of another cookie against the frosted side.
- Eat as a sandwich and enjoy!