Piña Colada Upside Down Cupcakes
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a pretty traditional dessert, but you can get a Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe anywhere, so I wanted to give you something more. I took Pineapple Upside Down Cake to the next level with these super easy to make Piña Colada Upside Down Cupcakes. Y’all, they are so simple to make, but look so cute and fancy when you flip them out of the cupcake pan! People will be so impressed and they’ll have no idea how quick and easy it is to make them!
MAKING THE BATTER
You can whip up this cupcake batter in just a matter of minutes. You’ll start by beating butter and sugar, just like pretty much every other recipe. Beat in egg, salt, baking powder, and coconut extract. You’ll then alternate adding flour and pineapple juice. I usually add in about a third of the flour – you can eyeball it, this doesn’t have to be exact – then half the juice, then flour, juice, flour, mixing well between each addition. You’ll then stir in the crushed pineapple, and it’s ready to go! But before you put it into the muffin cups, you’ll need to prepare the pan…
PREPARING THE PAN
This is the fun part! You’ll want to make sure to grease your pan well. You do not want to use cupcake liners here because the bottom of the cupcake pan will become the top of the cupcake! After you grease the pan, you’ll want to put about a teaspoon of melted butter in the bottom of each muffin cup. Next, you’ll put a teaspoon of brown sugar into each cup, followed by a maraschino cherry in the center of each cup. I try to use the brown sugar to hold the cherry in place. You’ll then surround the cherry with about a teaspoon of shredded coconut. Lastly, you’ll put about a tablespoon of crushed pineapple into each cup. Before you add the batter, you’ll want to press the soon-to-be toppings down into the bottom of the cup to make room for the batter! You’ll fill the cups a little more than 3/4 of the way to the top and bake for just 15 minutes!
When the cupcakes are done, the batter should be golden brown. You’ll remove the pan from the oven and let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes. Lastly, you’ll flip the cupcakes out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. I usually do this by placing the cooling rack upside down on top of the cupcake pan, and holding onto the edges of both at once, flipping them both over at once, so the cooling rack is now on the bottom and the cupcake pan is upside down on top of the cooling rack. Then pull the cupcake pan off slowly so the cupcakes stay on the cooling rack, and there are beautiful Piña Colada Upside Down Cupcakes waiting for you! So close your eyes, take a bite, and pretend you’re relaxing on a beach…or just take them with you to a real beach and enjoy!
Piña Colada Upside Down Cupcakes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or as much as you can squeeze out of the can - it should get pretty close
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 12 teaspoons coconut
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple minus the 1/2 cup for the batter
- In advance of making this recipe, soak cherries in rum.
- Drain the crushed pineapple, saving the juice for the cake batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray cupcake tin with non-stick spray.
- Prepare the cake batter by beating the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, salt, baking powder, and extract.
- Add flour and pineapple juice in alternating additions, both starting and ending with the flour.
- Stir in crushed pineapple.
- Prepare the pan by putting the following into each cupcake cup: 1 teaspoon melted butter 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 maraschino cherry 1 teaspoon coconut 1 tablespoon crushed pineapple
- Press into the bottom of the tin, then scoop cupcake batter on top, filling a little more than 3/4 full.
- Bake until a light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan about 5 minutes, then flip over onto the cooling rack so that the fruit is on top.
- Cool completely, and enjoy!