Strawberries & Champagne Nutella Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
I love Valentine’s Day! I know it’s known as a “Hallmark Holiday,” but I love a holiday about LOVE! Growing up, Valentine’s Day was the holiday where my parents would hide candy and cards all over the house, and all day my brother and I would continue to find new surprises. It was one of my favorite holiday traditions and one I try to continue with my husband and dogs each year. (Yes, my dogs get treats too!)
However, if you dislike Valentine’s Day, as I know many do, don’t stop reading! These cupcakes will be great for Galentine’s Day too! Make these cupcakes for your girlfriends, or even better, bake them together for a fun Galentine’s Day celebration.
Valentine’s Day isn’t just about love with a significant other, but about LOVE. Show your friends, family, and loved ones just how much you love them…with cupcakes!
Strawberries & Champagne Nutella Valentine's Day Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar divided in half
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
- A few drops pink food coloring optional
- 1 cup strawberries finely diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon champagne
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a mini cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In one bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt (dry ingredients). In another bowl, combine champagne, vanilla, and strawberry puree (wet ingredients).
- In your mixing bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- On low speed add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, and once almost combined, add half the wet ingredients, continuing to alternate dry and wet until all are combined.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and slowly and gradually add in 1/2 cup sugar beating until glossy and stiff.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the batter.
- OPTIONAL: add a few drops of pink food coloring to the batter
- Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center the cupcakes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, the move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine cornstarch and champagne and set aside.
- Place diced strawberries in a saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring constantly, until juices are released (about 4 minutes)
- Add the sugar and cornstarch/champagne mixture, and continue stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, create a small hole in the center of cooled cupcakes and pour a small amount of filling into the hole.
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat until combined.
- If the icing is too thick, add a little bit more cream. If the icing is too thin, add a little bit more powdered sugar. Continue adjusting until frosting is desired consistency.
- Swirl frosting onto cooled, filled cupcakes, and decorate with sprinkles!