Oaks Lily Cupcakes
The day before the Kentucky Derby is known as Oaks Day. The Kentucky Oaks is the big race for female horses. People get all done up in lots of pink, there’s a fashion show, there’s an incredibly moving parade of cancer survivors, and it’s just an absolutely beautiful day.
Not only do I prefer Oaks day to Derby day, but I also prefer the Oaks drink over the Derby drink! Nothing against the Mint Julep, but in my personal opinion, the Lily is a much better drink. A Lily is made with cranberry juice, vodka, triple sec, and sweet and sour. It is served in a stemless wine glass.
How to Make Oaks Lily Cupcakes
As with most cupcakes, you’ll first beat together the butter and sugar. You’ll then add in eggs, and instead of vanilla, we’re going to add in Triple Sec. Usually, I don’t like to use extra bowls, but in this case, you’ll want two small bowls. You’ll combine all the dry ingredients in one and all the wet in the other. I usually add all the wet ingredients to the same measuring cup to try to save on dishes – just be sure you add the cranberry sauce last if you do it this way.
You’ll then add about a third of the dry ingredients – this doesn’t have to be exact, you can just eyeball it – then about half the wet, about half of the remaining dry ingredients, the rest of the wet ingredients, and finally the remainder of the dry ingredients, mixing between each addition. Scoop batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake.
The frosting is super easy – just toss all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat! But make sure to wait for the cupcakes to cool before frosting them.
So whip up these cupcakes, get your bets in, and cheer on the fillies from the comfort of your own home!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 tablespoon Sweet & Sour
- 1/2 tablespoon Triple Sec
- 3 tablespoon cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce
- 1 1 lb box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Beat together butter and sugar.
- Beat in Triple Sec and eggs.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.
- Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients starting and ending with dry (add dry in thirds and wet in halves).
- Pour batter into cupcake liners till mostly filled.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely, then frost.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat well.
- Add more cranberry juice (or vodka!) if the frosting is too thick, more powdered sugar if it's too wet.
- Beat until desired consistency.