Have you ever had an avocado-flavored dessert?! It may sound strange, but let me assure you, if you like avocados and you like ice cream, you will love this easy 4-Ingredient Avocado Ice CreamI Avocado can be used as a butter substitute in recipes (it's a fat!) but you generally don't get an avocado flavor in those recipes. This no-churn ice cream is sweet and creamy, and the avocado flavor shines through. It's everything I hoped it would be, and I have no doubt, once you try it, you'll agree!
Why this recipe works
No-churn ice cream is the perfect summer solution for those of us who don't have ice cream makers! Avocado is such a creamy fruit that makes for a rich, smooth, creamy ice cream. It's light and sweet, and so easy to make. Your freezer does most of the work!
Ingredients and notes
Whipping Cream - Whipping cream starts out as a liquid, and when beaten it eventually becomes whipped cream. This is because when you're beating it, you are whipping air into it which makes it light and fluffy and airy. This, in turn, will make your ice cream light and fluffy and airy!
Sweetened Condensed Milk - Sweetened Condensed Milk is used to sweeten the ice cream. You don't want to use sugar because it will likely not fully dissolve and will leave your ice cream with a grainy texture and we don't want that!
Avocados - Avocados are, of course, what gives this ice cream its color and flavor. But it also contributes some extra creaminess to the texture.
How to make this recipe
Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, mashed avocado, and salt together until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream until whipped cream is formed. You'll know it's ready when the mixture forms stiff peaks.
Fold the avocado mixture into the whipped cream.
Pour into your loaf pan and freeze until it reaches ice cream consistency. I usually freeze for at least 4-5 hours. Overnight is ideal.
Ice cream is often made with an ice cream maker which requires a churning process. No-churn ice cream doesn't requirement any special equipment. The churning process is replaced by whipping the air into the whipping cream to create the light and airy texture.
The whipping cream gives no-churn ice cream that light and airy texture that churning gives it.
It tastes like sweet, creamy avocado. It really tastes just like a dessert avocado!
Tips & Tricks
- I always put my metal loaf pan in the freezer before starting on this recipe. That way, once the ice cream mixture is made, it's being poured into an already cold pan.
- To determine whether your whipped cream is ready, dip your whisk into the mixture, and then pull it straight up. If the mixture stands straight up and holds its shape, it's ready to go.
- When folding the avocado mixture into the whipped cream, some air will be released, but you want to try to keep as much air as you can in there so fold gently!
4-Ingredient Sweet Corn Ice Cream
No-Churn Nutella Ice Cream
Did you try this recipe? Review and comment below, and share a photo on Instagram and tag @flourdeliz!
Pin this recipe for later:
4-Ingredient Avocado Ice Cream
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 ripe avocados mashed or pureed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Chill a metal loaf pan in advance.
- Whisk milk, avocado, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff, forming whipped cream.
- Fold the avocado mixture into the whipped cream mixture until combined.
- Pour mixture into chilled loaf pan and freeze until desired ice cream consistency, approximately 5 hours.
This post was updated in May 2021 with new photos, an updated recipe, and additional information about the recipe.
You had me at 4 ingredients! This ice cream looks amazing!
I had no idea how easy ice cream could be! The waiting is the hardest part!