I am not a New England Patriots fan, but I live in Boston where making that statement is frowned upon. (My husband is already not happy with this post!!!) This will be my third Super Bowl since moving to Boston, and the second of those in which the Patriots are playing. So although I am not a fan, it is only right that my Super Bowl dessert is inspired by the Patriots.
I can't think of a more traditional Super Bowl drink than beer, and I can't think of a more traditional Boston beer than Sam Adams Boston Lager. The cupcakes have a light beer flavor, and the slight caramel taste of the frosting highlights the Boston Lager flavor perfectly. And for those of you who, like me, don't drink beer, I promise you will still love the taste of these cupcakes! And even though these use Boston Lager, Falcons fans and all other fans (and non-fans) will love these just as much as Patriots fans do!
Boston Lager Super Bowl Cupcakes
- 3 sticks butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 1 cup Boston Lager
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- ⅓ cup Boston Lager
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Cream butter and sugar till very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, incorporating after each.
- Combine the remaining dry cupcake ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in one bowl, and the remaining wet ingredients (beer, vanilla) in another.
- While still mixing, add to the butter and sugar mixture ⅓ of the dry ingredients, then ½ the wet and continue alternating dry and wet until all the ingredients are mixed in.
- Fill cupcake liners most of the way to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are golden brown.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients except the powdered sugar in a sauce pan over low heat, stirring until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Increase to medium heat without stirring and cook until the entire mixture is bubbling, approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Once the mixture is cooled, pour it into a mixing bowl, add powdered sugar, and beat until icing is the proper consistency. If you need to thicken the icing, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more beer!
Best cake!!! I normally eat just the frosting but this cake is amazing!
Beer can have that effect!
Lisa Sugarman says
My husband may never eat non-alcohol-infused cupcakes ever again!! Ahhhhhmazing!
So glad you guys liked them!!!