I put out a poll in my Instagram story (if you’re not following me at @flourdeliz, what are you waiting for?!) to see if y’all preferred peanut butter or Nutella in a head to head competition! It’s a hard choice because I’m such a huge fan of both. But in the end, in no surprise to me, Nutella won. I mean, given the choice, I’d pick it too! Nutella is basically the nut butter with the chocolate already mixed in. Peanut butter, while delicious on its own, is significantly improved when combined with chocolate. This is why peanut butter cups are so popular – that peanut butter chocolate combo is divine. So if we collectively decided that Nutella wins out over peanut butter, why wouldn’t we want Nutella cups?!
Since Nutella is already chocolatey on its own, I used a darker chocolate for the outside of the cup so as not to overpower the delicious Nutella filling. And the texture of Nutella is slightly different from peanut butter so the filling is made a bit differently from the peanut butter cups I shared with you a couple of weeks ago. I also used more filling for these cups to make sure the Nutella flavor shines through. And lastly, I topped these with a few flakes of sea salt. Because of the extra chocolate in these, they are a sweeter treat, so the sea salt helps balance the sweetness level. Plus, you know I’m a sucker for the sweet and salty combo.
All in all, these are just as easy as the peanut butter cups, and equally delicious if I do say so myself! If I put out a new poll comparing the peanut butter cups to the Nutella cups, I don’t think I could ever choose! Adding chocolate to each makes it a whole new level of competition that I just can’t handle!
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- flaked sea salt for topping
- Combine Nutella and powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. (To do this, put the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl, and place the bowl in a pot of boiling water. Ideally, the bowl will not come into contact with water. It's best to use a bowl large enough to prevent the water from getting into the bowl.)
- Spoon a small amount of melted chocolate into the bottom of each paper liner.
- Scoop a clump of Nutella into each cup on top of the melted chocolate.
- Spoon melted chocolate over top of the Nutella, filling the cup to the top.
- Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt on to the top of each cup.
- Place in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes, or until chocolate has hardened.
- Remove from freezer, and allow to sit for a few minutes before taking a bite! These are best at room temperature if you're patient enough to wait - just don't break your teeth on a frozen one!