Stout Beer Football Brownies
I cannot believe it’s already 2019. 2018 was such a great year. Like any year, it definitely had some big downs, but it also had a lot of ups. I have a lot of high hopes for 2019. It seems like as soon as January 1st hit, the stores were covered in pink and red and Valentine’s day was everywhere. And I love Valentine’s day. It’s one of my favorite holidays! But before Valentine’s day gets here, we have another exciting holiday: Super Bowl Sunday! Super Bowl Sunday is all about beer, football, and food, so I have combined all of those things to bring you the perfect Super Bowl Brownies: Stout Beer Football Brownies.
To cut out the brownies in a football shape, I used a cookie cutter, but it’s an easy enough shape that you could probably freehand it. One of my favorite tricks when I need a cookie cutter that I don’t have is to find an image that I like, trace it on to wax paper, cut the shape out on the wax paper, and then place the wax paper shape on top of the brownie (or cookie dough) and cook around the wax paper. If you’re not comfortable freehanding the football shape, this is a super easy trick that results in the perfect shape every time!
For this recipe, I chose a local stout because I love supporting local breweries. I chose coffee milk stout because I thought coffee milk sounded like it would go great with chocolate. When you make this recipe at home, you can use any stout you like. You can support your local breweries, you can try out unique stout flavors, you can make this with any stout that excites you! And don’t worry, I will still be sharing with you some Valentine’s day recipes soon, but since playoff football is in full swing, I thought these might come in handy a little sooner!
Stout Beer Football Brownies
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder heaping
- 1 cup stout beer divided
- 1 stick butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon milk or stout beer
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 13 x 9 pan with nonstick foil.
- Heat 1/2 cup stout and butter over low heat until butter is melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder with hot stout and butter mixture and stir till cocoa powder is dissolved. Add remainder of stout beer and stir.
- Mix in eggs and yolks.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add in flour and salt till combined.
- Pour batter into lined pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Using a cookie cutter (or the trick I wrote about above!), cut the brownies into football shapes.
- Combine icing ingredients, adding more powdered sugar if too thin or milk or stout if too thick.
- Using a toothpick, draw the laces onto the football (one centered line going length-wise with a few smaller lines crossing the long centered line as shown in the images).
- Cheer on your favorite team and enjoy!