Cinnamon Toast Crunch Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow, which some people call Muddy Buddies, might be the most addicting snack to exist. Chocolate, peanut butter, powdered sugar, what’s not to love? But the Chex cereal is really just a vehicle to get all that sweet delicious goodness into your mouth. The Chex doesn’t really add anything but a crunch. So what if we replaced the Chex with something that has a bit more pizzazz? Something that adds to the delicious, addicting flavors of the treat. So I bring to you, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Puppy Chow. This cinnamon puppy chow recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make and no baking is required!
Why this recipe works
I love this recipe because you can have this super scrumptious snack in no time at all! Using Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal instead of Chex cereal adds a hint of cinnamon, adding more deliciousness to an already delicious treat! This recipe is unbelievably easy to make, which is important because it’s so hard to stop eating it!
Ingredients and notes
Cinnamon Toast Crunch – You can’t have a Cinnamon Toast Crunch treat without Cinnamon Toast Crunch! The Cinnamon Toast Crunch flavors meld super well with the chocolate peanut butter flavors creating a cinnamon puppy chow.
Peanut Butter – Creamy peanut butter is deal for this recipe, but if you don’t have it, crunchy peanut butter should work too. If you have a peanut allergy, you could easily replace the peanut butter with almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
Chocolate Chips – You can use whatever chocolate you have – milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or semi sweet chocolate chips. I like to use chocolate chips or chocolate chunks, but if you don’t have them you can use chocolate bars or larger chocolate.
How to make this recipe
Put Cinnamon Toast Crunch in a large bowl.
Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter till smooth.
Pour over the cereal.
Stir until the cereal is coated in the smooth chocolate peanut butter mixture.
Put the cereal and chocolate mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag with some powdered sugar, and shake it until everything is covered in powdered sugar.
Yes! Though you should always check the labels, Cinnamon Toast Crunch is vegan! You can certainly use vegan chocolate and vegan butter to make this Cinnamon Toast Crunch Puppy Chow vegan!
Puppy Chow is the midwest name for this delicious treat because people think it looks like dog food. If you’ve never made puppy chow, don’t let this deter you. It is one of the most delicious snacks to exist! If you have heard it called Muddy Buddies, that is the official name that Chex came up with to promote this amazing snack that usually features Rice Chex cereal.
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Puppy Chow can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It should last a few weeks, if you can keep from eating it for that long!
Tips & Tricks
- If using bar chocolate, chop it before melting it. It will melt quicker and more evenly if it’s in smaller, evenly-sized pieces.
- The chocolate, peanut butter, and butter can be melted on the stove over medium-low heat instead of the microwave.
Did you try this recipe? Review and comment below, and share a photo on Instagram and tag @flourdeliz!
Pin this recipe for later:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Puppy Chow
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula (a wooden spoon works too!)
- Zip-top freezer bag
- 12 oz box Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Pour cereal into large bowl.
- In a smaller, microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Microwave for 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Microwave in additional 15-second increments if needed, stirring thoroughly after each.
- Pour over cereal and mix until the cereal is well coated.
- Pour the coated cereal into a gallon-sized zip top baggie, add the powdered sugar, seal the bag and shake until cereal is well coated.
- Let cool, then store in the zip top bag until ready to serve.
This post was updated in October 2021 with additional information about the recipe.