A perfect game day, Super Bowl, or party snack, these Salty Sweet No-Bake Dessert Nachos are made with kettle chips for a delicious crunch, and can be loaded with all your favorite toppings. These are so much fun because they're like a choose your own adventure. You could even make this as a dessert nacho bar for your parties so everyone can create their own sweet nacho combinations!
Why this recipe works
The best thing about these sweet and salty nachos is that you can make this super easy recipe any way you like. Dessert nachos can be gluten-free, vegan, loaded with chocolate and toppings, or sweet and simple. No matter how you load them up, they're quick to make and delicious to eat!
Ingredients and notes
Kettle Chips - Kettle chips give this quick and easy dessert a great crunch and a delicious saltiness. You could substitute pretzels instead if you prefer, or you could use a combo of both. I would not recommend using regular potato chips to make this sweet snack as they are likely not strong enough to hold the weight of all the best toppings!
Chocolate Chips - Chocolate chips are melted to create a chocolate topping for this. You can also use chocolate melts or chopped chocolate, or you can use other flavors of melts or chips as you desire. A chocolate syrup or similar topping may make your chips a bit soggier, but the melted chocolate will re-harden on the chips.
Dulce de Leche - Dulce de Leche is similar to caramel, but is slightly thicker which I think also helps keep the crispy base of this sweet treat from getting soggy. Caramel or even salted caramel can be substituted.
Toppings - The toppings are the best part of this awesome recipe! The toppings can be loaded up, kept sweet and simple, or set up to build your own - a dessert nacho bar! I used M&Ms, shredded coconut, and sprinkles, but the options are endless! You can add fruit (or even make a fruit salsa if you're feeling extra ambitious!), cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, peanut butter, Nutella, crushed Oreos - whatever excites you! While both the chocolate and caramel are optional, you do want to use some sort of sauce or spread to help hold all the other fun toppings onto the chips!
How to make this recipe
Place a layer of kettle chips (or whatever base you choose) on your serving dish.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Drizzle chocolate over the top of the chips.
Drizzle dulce de leche over the chips. If it's too thick, you can soften it slightly in the microwave (just remove it from the can first!) or by placing the can in a bowl of warm water.
Cover with all your favorite toppings.
Repeat as many times as needed. This is best done in multiple layers to ensure all the chips or pretzels get loaded with toppings!
They can be anything you want them to be! Dessert nachos are a salty-sweet no-bake snack with a crispy base such as chips or pretzels and covered with the toppings of your choice!
Yes! In some stores, it can be found in the baking section near the sweetened condensed milk. In others, it is in the Latin American section of the grocery store.
These can be served with your favorite ice cream or set up as a build-your-own nacho bar. They're perfect for Super Bowl, March Madness, or other game day parties, or even an afternoon snack.
Though these can be stored in an airtight container, they are definitely best served immediately after preparing. They do not keep exceptionally well, but they're so delicious, you may not even have leftovers anyway!
Tips & Tricks
- Using a larger serving dish to build this sweet treat will create a larger base which will lead to fewer nacho layers built up. This is generally ideal, but since we add toppings to each layer, if you need to build it up taller, that's okay too!
- Have fun with it! Use your favorite flavors and toppings.
Did you try this recipe? Review and comment below, and share a photo on Instagram and tag @flourdeliz!
Pin this recipe for later:
Quick and Easy Salty Sweet No-Bake Dessert Nachos
- microwave-safe bowl or double boiler
- 14 oz kettle chips original or sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ can dulce de leche
- ¼ - ½ cup m&ms, coconut, peanuts, sprinkles, or other toppings choose your favorite toppings!
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double boiler over medium-low till smooth.
- If needed, heat the dulce de leche in the microwave or in a pot over low heat till thinned.
- Place a layer of chips on the serving plate. Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate and dulce de leche over the top of chips.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate and caramel with a layer of the toppings of your choice.
- Add another layer of chips, drizzled with chocolate and caramel, and topped with another layer of toppings.
- Continue building until all chips and toppings are used. Enjoy!!
This recipe was originally posted on November 1, 2016, but was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, additional information about the recipe, step-by-step instructions, FAQs, and tips and tricks in November of 2023.